British and American English grammar

 


British And American English Grammar

AmE and BrE also have some common grammatical differences especially when talking about some specific things. Knowing the grammar differences between American and British English can be really helpful in developing comprehensive communication skills of your English. 

Here are ten of the most common and noticeable grammar differences between American and British English worth your attention: 


           1. Talking about POSSESSIONS

                                Forms

Have / has (AmE)    vs   Have / has + got  (BrE)

In general, In order to talk about possessions or things that people have in English, American and British English use or have different verb forms to express them. BrE speakers prefer to use " have / has +  got", while AmE speakers simply use " have " / " has " instead. Moreover, they often use the short forms, especially in speaking.

Before we dive into the main points, you need to notice which of the forms can and cannot be shortened as shown below: 

                            Positive Form

I have an idea.                 Not = I've an idea

I have got an idea.          = I've got an idea.

He has an idea.                 Not = He's an idea.  

He has got an idea.         = He's got an idea.

          

                            Negative Form

I do not have an idea.       = I don't have an idea.

I have not got an idea.      = I haven't got an idea.

He does not have an idea.  = He doesn't have an idea.

He has not got an idea.   = He hasn't got an idea.


     Interrogative form (can't be shortened)

      Interrogative                 Short answers

Do you have an idea?        Yes, I do. | No, I don't. 

Have you got an idea?  Yes, I have. | No, I haven't.

Does she have an idea?  Yes, she does. | No, she doesn't.

Has she got an idea?    Yes, she has. | No, she hasn't.


       Question                                 Answer

How many brothers do you have?     I have ...

How many brothers have you got?    I've got ....

How many bedrooms does your house have?     It has ...

How many bedrooms has your house got?    It's got ...


☆ Possession 1:  Material things or animals 

Example sentences:

He has a good job.     ( AmE )

He's got a good job.   ( BrE )


They don't have a car.    ( AmE )

They haven't got a car.   ( BrE )


Daniel has three parrots.    ( AmE )

Daniel's got three parrots.  ( BrE )


Do you have any money on you?     ( AmE )

Have you got any money on you?    ( BrE )


Our house has three bedrooms and two bathrooms.   ( AmE )

Our house's got three bedrooms and two bathrooms.  ( BrE )


I have a lot of homework today.    ( AmE )

I've got a lot of homework today.  ( BrE )


☆ Possession 2Abstract things

Example sentences:

Lauren has good English speaking skills.( AmE )

Lauren's got good English speaking skills.( BrE )


You have a lot of courage.      ( AmE )

You've got a lot of courage.    ( BrE )


I have a good idea.     ( AmE )

I've got a good idea.   ( BrE )


I have a surprise for you.      ( AmE )

I've got a surprise for you.    ( BrE )


She has a problem.   ( AmE )

She's got a problem. ( BrE )


Do you have time for a chat?    ( AmE )

Have you got time for a chat?   ( BrE )


He doesn't have time to help us.   ( AmE )

He hasn't got time to help us.         ( BrE )


I can't go with you -- I don't have time.    ( AmE )

I can't go with you -- I haven't got time.   ( BrE )


He doesn't have sense of responsibility. ( AmE ) 

He hasn't got sense of responsibility.       ( BrE )


Everyone has a responsibility for their own families.  ( AmE )

Everyone's got a responsibility for their own families. ( BrE )


He has the drive to succeed.  ( AmE )

He's got the drive to succeed.  ( BrE )

( drive : noun = determination to achieve something )


I have a lot of motivation to succeed.   ( AmE )

I've got a lot of motivation to succeed.  ( BrE )


Does he has a financial problem?   ( AmE )

Has he got a financial problem?      ( BrE )


He has a good sense of humor. 

He's got a good sense of humor.


☆ Possession 3:  Family / friends / Relationships

Example sentences:

I have two brothers.      ( AmE )

I've got two brothers.    ( BrE )


She doesn't have many friends.   ( AmE )

She hasn't got many friends.        ( BrE )


He has a new girlfriend.           ( AmE )

He's got a new girlfriend.         ( BrE )


She has two brothers and one sister.     ( AmE )

She's got two brothers and one sister.   ( BrE )


They have three children.      ( AmE )

They've got three children.    ( BrE )


☆ Possession 4 :  Timetabled events

Example sentences:

I have football practice on Saturdays.      ( AmE )

I've got football practice on Saturdays.    ( BrE )


She has an English class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.   ( AmE ) 

She's got an English class on Tuesdays and Thurdays.   ( BrE )


She has a piano lesson after school today.   (AmE )

She's got a piano lesson after school today. (BrE )


Do we have a meeting tomorrow?   ( AmE )

Yes, we do.         


Have we got a meeting tomorrow?   ( BrE )

Yes, we have.    


☆ Possession 5Suffer an Illness or a disease

Example sentences:

He has a headache.     ( AmE )

He's got a headache.   ( BrE )


Mike has a terrible cold.    ( AmE )

Mike's got a terrible cold.  ( BrE )


I have a cough.     ( AmE )

I've got a cough.   ( BrE )


☆ Possession 6 :  People's appearance

Example sentences:

She has brown hair.    ( AmE )

She's got brown hair.  ( BrE )


My sister has long hair.      ( AmE )

My sister's got long hair.    ( BrE )


He has blue eyes.    ( AmE )

He's got blue eyes.  ( BrE )


Note that we cannot use 'have got' / 'has got' when it is about an action or activity. It's only 'have' or 'has' without 'got' that can be used in this context. 

Let's figure this out in these sentences below: 


I have breakfast around 7 o'clock.   (This is an action)

(Not: I've got breakfast around 7 o'clock.)


He has a shower every morning.         (This is an action)

(Not: He's got a shower every morning.)


I have a break at 12 o'clock.    (This is also an activity)

(Not: I've got a break at 12 o'clock.)


He's got a shower. 

But this is correct. This means there is a shower in his house. It refers to a possession, not an action. 



    2. Talking about Plans and Necessities

                                     Forms

Have / has to (AmE) vs Have / has got to (BrE) 

The second noticeable grammar difference between American and British English is that when speaking about plans or necessities. In American English, they use " have to " / " has to", while In British English, people use " have got to" / " has got to ".

Example sentences:

When do you have to take your cousin to the airport?   ( AmE )

When have you got to take your cousin to the airport?    ( BrE )


When does she have to pick up her sister? (AmE)

When has she got to pick up her sister? ( BrE )


I have to take my cousin to the airport tomorrow. ( AmE )

I've got to take my cousin to the airport tomorrow. ( BrE )


She has to pick up her sister from school later. ( AmE )

She's got to pick up her sister from school later. ( BrE )


We have to go now.  ( AmE )

We've got to go now. ( BrE )


I have to pick up my son at school at 12 o'clock. ( AmE )

I've got to pick up my son at school at 12 o'clock.  ( BrE )


We don't have to go to school on Saturdays.       ( AmE )

We haven't got to go to school on Saturdays.       ( BrE )


You have to take the car to the garage. ( AmE )

You've got to take the car to the garage. ( BrE )


I have to practice my English speaking in my English class.  ( AmE )

I've got to practice my English speaking in my English class.  ( BrE )


Here are short answers commonly used to answer the questions with "have to" and "have got to": 


Do you have to study on school nights?  ( AmE )

Yes, I have to. |  No, I don't have to.


Have you got to study on school nights?  ( BrE )

Yes, I've got to.   |  No, I haven't got to. 


Does she have to work on Saturdays?   ( AmE )

Yes, she has to.  |  No, she doesn't have to.


Has she got to work on Saturdays?   ( BrE )

Yes, she's got to.  |  No, she hasn't got to. 


Warning:

" Have got to " / " has got to " can only be used in the present. " Have to " / " has to " can be used in a variety of forms. Moreover, we cannot use have to / have got to in the present continuous form:

I've got to study for the exam tonight.   ( Present simple )

Not : I'll have got to study for the exam tonight.  ( Future simple )

I'll have to study for the exam tonight.  ( Future simple )

I had to study for the exam last night.     ( Past simple )

Not

I'm having to study for the exam tonight.

I'm having got to study for the exam tonight.

They both cannot be used in the present continuous form.


                    3.  Using    Got    vs    Gotten     

                      ( as the third forms of get )


 Got    ( BrE )        vs     Gotten     ( AmE )


                      The three forms of get

     Base verb      Past simple      Past participle

            ( Verb 1)        ( Verb 2 )            ( Verb 3)

BrE             get                 got                    got

AmE           get                 got                  gotten 


Have got / has got               =  British English

Have gotten / has gotten    = American English

In British English, the past participle of the verb get is " got " in the present perfect tense. While, in American English, people say "gotten" instead. 

" Get " that can be " got " or " gotten " here should be the one which means "buy, obtain, receive something and reach or arrive at a particular place, not possess something. Have got / gotten is only used in the present perfect context.


Have got / gotten  have bought / obtained / received / got something 

Example sentences:

I've got good news for you.          ( BrE )

I've gotten good news for you.    ( AmE )

( = I've received / obtained good news from someone that I'd like to tell you. )


He's got some new shoes.        ( BrE )

He's gotten some new shoes.  ( AmE )

( This means the same as ' He's recently bought some new shoes. )


Have you got your coffee?          ( BrE )

Have you gotten your coffee?    ( AmE )

( = Have you received your coffee? )


She's got a new job.        ( BrE )

She's gotten a new job.  ( AmE )

( = She's just been accepted to work for the company she applied to. )


I've got a lot of presents from my friends for my birthday.

I've gotten a lot of presents from my friends for my birthday. 

( = I've received a lot of presents... ) 


He's got a new car.        ( BrE )

He's gotten a new car.  ( AmE )

( = He has recently bought a new car. )


We've got our package / parcel.       ( BrE )

We've gotten our package / parcel.   ( AmE ) 

( = Our package has come / has been delivered. )


Hello! I've just been to the shops. Mom's got a lot of things for you.   ( BrE )

Hello! I've just been to the shops. Mom's gotten a lot of things for you.  ( AmE )

( = Mom's bought a lot of things for you. )


Have got / gottenhave arrived at / reached a place

Example sentences:

He hasn't got home.         ( BrE )

He hasn't gotten home.   ( AmE )

( = He hasn't gone / arrived home. )


She's got there.           ( BrE )

She's gotten there.     ( AmE )

( = She's arrived at that place. )


I've got to work.          ( BrE )

I've gotten to work.    ( AmE )

( I've got to work / I've gotten to work is similar to " I've arrived at work." )


Have you got home from school?         ( BrE )

Have you gotten home from school?   ( AmE )

( = Have you arrived / gone home from school? )


Has your dad got home from work?        ( BrE )

Has your dad gotten home from work?  ( AmE )

( = Has your dad come / arrived home from work?)


We've got to the restaurant.       ( BrE )

We've gotten to the restaurant.  ( AmE )

( = We've arrived at or reached the restaurant. )


Have you got to the shops?        ( BrE )

Have you gotten to the shops?  ( AmE )

( = Have you arrived at / reached the shops? )


Have got / gotten = have become / have started to be or do something 

Example sentences:

Your English has got much better.        ( BrE )

Your English has gotten much better.  ( AmE )

( = Your English has become much better. )


You've got much better at playing the piano.       ( BrE )

You've gotten much better at playing the piano. ( AmE )

( = You've become much better at playing the piano. )


He's got so big. I hardly recognized him.  ( BrE )

He's gotten so big. I hardly recognized him.       ( AmE )

( = He's become / grown so big. )


He's got so tall now.          ( BrE )

He's gotten so tall now.   ( AmE )

( = He's become / grown so tall now. )


Has she got married?         ( BrE )

Has she gotten married?   ( AmE )

( = Has she begun a legal relationship with someone as her husband? )


They haven't got married.       ( BrE )

They haven't gotten married.  ( AmE )

( = They haven't started a legal relationship with someone as a married couple. )


Have got / gotten : have become ill with a disease

Example sentences:

I've got the flu for three days.        ( BrE )

I've gotten the flu for three days.  ( AmE )


She's got a cough for a week.        ( BrE )

She's gotten a cough for a week.  ( AmE )


Have got / gotten : have woken up and left the bed

Example sentences:

Has she got up yet?          ( BrE )

Has she gotten up yet?   ( AmE )


He hasn't got up yet.      ( BrE )

He hasn't gotten up yet.  ( AmE )


He's got up.        ( BrE )

He's gotten up.  ( AmE )

Note that American English doesn't use "gotten" to speak about possession and necessity.

Not: 

I've gotten a brother.

I've gotten to do my homework.


4. Responding to " How are you? "

Good  ( AmE )     vs    Well / Fine  ( BrE )

AmE speakers ofter say ' I'm good ' while BrE prefers to use ' I'm well ' / ' I'm fine ' when responding to the greeting ' How are you? '.

Example dialogues:

A : How are you? 

B : I'm good.    ( AmE )


A : How are you? 

B : I'm well.     ( BrE )

( or I'm fine. )


A : How are your parents? 

B : They're good.    ( AmE )


A : How's your dad?

B: He's well.   ( BrE )


 5.  Speaking about a past action

Present perfect ( BrE ) vs Past simple  ( AmE )

When talking about a past / finished action, The British and Americans use different tenses. In British English, people use the present perfect while in American English, they use the past simple as they consider the action finished. And this is especially common with the adverbs already, just and yet.  

Some examples include: 

I've lost my key. Can you help me look for it?     ( BrE)

I lost my key. Can you help me look for it?           ( AmE )


A: Have you found your key yet?     ( BrE )

B: Yes, I've just found it. / No, I haven't found it yet.


A: Did you find your key yet?          ( AmE )

B: Yes, I just found it. / No, I didn't find it yet.


A: Have you done your assignment yet?    ( BrE )

B: Yes, I've just finished it

 

A: Did you do your assignment yet?    ( AmE )

B: Yes, I just finished it. 


I've already done it.     ( BrE )

I already did it.          ( AmE )


They're not going to the cinema. They've already seen the film.  ( BrE )

They're not going to the movies. They already saw the film.         ( AmE )


Do you want to go to the cinema tonight?  No, I've already seen it.   ( BrE )

Do you want to go to the movies tonight? No, I already saw it.          ( AmE )


In negative sentences and questions to talk about something that hasn't happened but that you expect to happen.

I haven't received a phone call from him yet.    ( BrE )

I didn't receive a phone call from him yet.        ( AmE )


Have you eaten yet?       ( BrE )

Did you eat yet?             ( AmE )



   6.  Referring to a group of people / things

           (Verb forms with collective nouns)


In British English, a singular or plural verb can be used with a noun that refers to a group of people or things known as a collective noun. While, in American English, they use a singular verb with collective nouns. For example:

A new family (have / has) moved in next door.  ( BrE )

A new family (has) moved in next door.             ( AmE )


My family (is / are) visiting me next week.          ( BrE )

My family (is) visiting me next week.                  ( AmE )


The team (isn't / aren't) playing very well this season. (BrE )

The team (isn't) playing very well this season.  ( AmE )


The band (is / are) playing a gig in New York tonight.  ( BrE )

The band (is) playing a gig in New York tonight. ( AmE )


The staff (isn't / aren't) very happy about the latest pay increase. ( BrE )

The staff (isn't) very happy about the latest pay increase. ( AmE )


Why (doesn't / don't) the government do more to help the unemployed? ( BrE )

Why (doesn't) the government do more to help the unemployed? ( AmE ) 


The audience (was / were) clearly delighted with the performance. ( BrE )

The audience (was) clearly delighted with the performance.  ( AmE )


The committee (is / are) having a meeting right now. ( BrE )

The committee (is) having a meeting right now. ( AmE )


My class (was / were) rather noisy this morning. ( BrE )

My class (was) rather noisy this morning. ( AmE )


Note

Both American English and British English use a plural verb with nationality / the people of that country, the police and the names of sports teams: 

Nationality words / the people of that country:

▪︎ The Japanese make excellent robots.  ( BrE / AmE )

                     ( Not : makes )


The police:

▪︎ The police have arrested two people in connection with the robbery.  ( BrE / AmE )

                ( Not : has )


▪︎ The police are investigating the crime.  ( BrE / AmE ) 

                 ( Not : is )


The names of sports teams: 

▪︎ Liverpool have won the match.    ( BrE / AmE )

          ( Not: has )


▪︎ Germany are playing England in the football match tonight.  ( BrE )

           ( Not: is )


         7. Speaking about washing and resting

                        Have   vs   Take

AmE and BrE speakers have different verbs when referring to washing and resting. In British English, to speak about washing, they commonly use the verbs have and take with nouns like bath, shower, wash and with nouns like  break, rest and nap  to talk about resting. In American English, only the verb take ( and not the verb have ) is used in these contexts.

                    Break

Let's have / take a break. ( BrE )

Let's take a break. ( AmE )


I have / take a break at 12 o'clock.

I take a break at 12 o'clock.


                    Rest 

If you're tired you should have / take a rest.   ( BrE )

If you're tired you should take a rest. ( AmE )


                   Nap

I usually have / take a nap after lunch. (BrE)

I usually take a nap after lunch. ( AmE )


                    Bath

The shower is broken -- you'll have to have / take a bath. ( BrE )

The shower is broken -- you'll have to take a bath. ( AmE )


She's having / taking a bath right now. She'll call you back.    ( BrE )

She's taking a bath right now. She'll call you back.     ( AmE )


                 Shower

He's having / taking a shower. ( BrE )

He's taking a shower. ( AmE )


8.  Making offers, suggestions and asking for advice

 Shall   vs  Should

British English uses " Shall I ....? " to offer to do something and " Shall we ...?" to make a suggestion. While speakers of American English normally prefer to use " Should / Can I..?, or " How about ...? " instead.


☆ Here are some examples of Making offers in British and American English:

 Shall I ... ? (BrE) vs Can / Should I ....? (AmE)

Shall I get you a drink?   ( BrE )

Can I get you a drink?     ( AmE )


It's freezing in here -- shall I turn on the heating?    ( BrE )

It's freezing in here -- should / can I turn on the heating?    ( AmE )


" It's so hot in here."     " Shall I turn on the air conditioning? "    ( BrE )

" It's so hot in here. "     " Should I turn on the air conditioning? "  ( AmE )



You look lost -- shall I help you?    ( BrE ) 

You look lost -- can I help you?      ( AmE )


What a lot of bags! ShalI I carry something for you?   ( BrE ) 

What a lot of bags! Can I carry something for you?    ( AmE )


Is there anything I shall do to help?  ( BrE )

Is there anything I can do to help?  ( AmE )


Are you comfortable or shall I turn the heat down?  ( BrE )

Are you comfortable or should I turn the heat down? ( AmE )


In modern American English, shall is used mainly in formal situations: 

~ We shall be pleased to accept your invitation.

~ I'm afraid Mr Ferguson already left the office. Shall I be of any help?


☆Some sample sentences of making suggestions and asking for advice include:

              Shall we ...?   ( BrE )  

                            vs   

Should we...? / What about we...? ( AmE )


Shall we invite Tom?       ( BrE )

Should we invite Tom?    ( AmE )


 Shall we go out for dinner tonight?      ( BrE )

 Should we go out for dinner tonight?  ( AmE )


Shall we order some coffee?      ( BrE )

Should we order some coffee?    ( AmE )


Shall we get /order (a) takeaway ( UK )  / takeout ( US )for lunch today?       ( BrE )

Should we have the food to eat in or to take out / take away?    ( AmE )


What shall we do this weekend?         ( BrE )

What should we do this weekend?     ( AmE )


Where shall we go for our holidays?      ( BrE )

Where should we go for our holidays?   ( AmE )


Where shall we meet up tonight?      ( BrE )

Where should we meet up tonight?  ( AmE )


Shall we hang out tonight?  ( BrE )

How about we hang out tonight? ( How about hanging out tonight? )  ( AmE )


           9. Talking about the weekend

        At the weekend     vs    On the weekend

When talking about the weekend, BrE and AmE have different prepositions. BrE uses a preposition ' at ' while AmE prefers 'on' with the weekend this way.

At the weekend and on the weekend can refer to the upcoming weekend  / the last weekend ( = on Saturday or Sunday, or on both of them)

Some examples sentences include:


              at / on the weekend 

 = this upcoming  ( coming ) weekend / this weekend

What are you doing at the weekend?    ( BrE )

What are you doing on the weekend?   ( AmE )


D'you want to get together and barbecue at the weekend?  ( BrE )

That sounds good.


D'you want to get together and barbecue on the weekend?  ( AmE )

That sounds good.


I'm just chilling out at the weekend.   ( BrE )

I'm just chilling out on the weekend.  ( AmE )


He's hanging out with his friends at the weekend.  ( BrE )

He's hanging out with his friends on the weekend.  ( AmE )


She's just staying in at the weekend.  ( BrE )

She's just staying in on the weekend. ( AmE )


       at the weekend     vs   on the weekend 

                         = the last weekend

What did you do at the weekend?       ( BrE )

What did you do on the weekend?       ( AmE )


I just chilled out at the weekend.    ( BrE )

I just chilled out on the weekend.   ( AmE )


I hung out with my family at the weekend ( = last weekend ).  ( BrE )

I hung out with my family on the weekend ( = last weekend ). ( AmE )


We went away at the weekend.   ( BrE )

We went away on the weekend.  ( AmE )


      at weekends    vs   on ( the ) weekends

                     = every weekend

What do you usually do at weekends? ( Not : at the weekends )   ( BrE )

What do you usually do on weekends? ( = on the weekends ) ( AmE )


I usually meet up with my friends at weekends.       ( BrE )

I usually meet up with my friends on the weekends.  ( AmE )


They usually go away at weekends.   ( BrE )

They usually go away on weeekends. ( AmE )


She always hangs out with her family at weekends.     ( BrE )

She always hangs out with her family on the weekends.   ( AmE )

       

            10. Referring to street names

               In  ( BrE )     vs  On  ( AmE )

BrE uses ' in ' with street names. AmE uses 'on ' instead this way:

I live in Walton Street.    ( BrE )

I live on Walton Street.   ( AmE )


She works at a store in Main Street.    ( BrE ) 

She works at a store on Main Street.   ( AmE )


My house is in Cherry Street.

My house is on Cherry Street. 


Now, it's time for you to test how well you've understood the grammar differences between AmE and BrE.

Click on this link to do the AmE and BrE grammar quiz.

https://forms.gle/rbTb6Fys8CrvV6UX7


See also:

British and American English vocabulary differences

British and American English pronunciation

British and American English spelling

Popular posts from this blog

British and American English vocabulary differences

British and American English Pronunciation