Future Tense

Future Tense

In English, we generally use will when we talk about something that we decide to do at the time of speaking. Furthermore, we can use " will " in many everyday situations. If so, knowing the uses of "will" would be very necessary and useful in improving your English insight and enabling you to speak a lot about things in which "will" is used, in English more confidently. 

The main points that you will learn from this English lesson include: 

  • The forms of will
  • The uses of will
  • The example situations of will 
  • The example dialogues and sentences of will
  • The will quizzes

Note that if we learn something in English with example situations (=in context), we can understand it much better and with examples dialogues and sentences, we can use or refer to them when it comes to speaking about them.

Before we start with the main points, make sure you know all forms of will well.


                             Will : forms

Affirmative form

Subject  +  will  +  base verb...

Example

  • I'll call you back at break.

            ( call : base verb )


Subject  +  will  +  be  +  adjective / adverb / noun phrase.

Examples:

  • That will be fun.

         (fun :adjective)


  • I'll be there in time.

             (there:adverb)


  • I think she will be a professional singer someday.

             (a professional singer: noun phrase)


Negative form

Subject  +  will not ( won't )  +  base verb ....

Example:

  • I don't think I will go out tonight. I'm very tired.

             ( go : base verb )


Subject  +  will not ( won't )   +  be  +  adjective  / adverb  / noun phrase.

Examples:

  • I'm sure the test won't be easy.

             ( easy : adjective )


  • We won't be away on holiday next week, but the following week.

             ( away : adverb )


  • There won't be any cinemas in the future.

  ( cinema :  noun. Cinemas is the plural of cinema ) 


Question form

Will  +  subject  +  base verb ....?

Example:

  • Will you come over to my house for a barbecue on Saturday?

             ( come : base verb )


Will  +  subject  +  be  +  adjective / adverb / noun?

Examples:

  • Will your mom be angry if you don't ask to go out?

             ( angry : adjective )


  • Will Susan be at home tonight?

             (at home: adverb)


  • Will that place be a new apartment complex?   

             (a new building: noun phrase)


                       Will : uses

The First Use of Will

☆ Immediate / spontaneous future plans, intentions and decisions

In general, we use " will " when we decide to do something after a certain situation / thing happens. This means that we haven't decided to do that thing before that certain thing happens. We can also use I think I will .... or I don't think I will .... in this context.

In speaking or in informal situations, we commonly use 'll as the short form of will and won't as the short form of will not.


Study these example situations and see how will is used in context:

Situation 1: Your friend asks you what you're doing this weekend. After your friend's question, you decide to meet up with your friends. 

A: What are you doing this weekend?

B: Oh, I haven't decided yet. But I think I'll meet up with my friends. 

This is a plan that you make after your friend's question.


Situation 2:  You feel hungry. Then you decide to get something to eat.

  •  I am hungry. I'll get something to eat. 

In this context, you decide to get something to eat after you feel hungry. Or before you feel hungry, you haven't decided to get something to eat yet.


Situation 3: You see it raining. Then this makes you think of taking a raincoat.

  • It's raining. I'll take a raincoat. 

In this context, you decide to take a raincoat after you see it raining. Before it started raining, you haven't decided yet.


Situation 4: It is raining. You think that it will last long. Then you decide to cancel your appointment that you've made with your friends before.

  • If it keeps raining, I'll cancel my appointment (=plan)  with my friends.

In this context, you decide to cancel an appointment / a plan with your friends because of that situation ( If it keeps raining. ).


Here are some more example sentences and dialogues of will:

Example dialogues:

A: Sorry, I can't talk to you now. We're having lunch. 

B: Ok, I'll call you back later. 


A: That film is terrible! 

B: Really? If so, I won't watch it then.  


A: What are you doing this weekend?

B: I think I'll hang out this weekend. 


A: What are your plans for this weekend?

B: Not much. I think I'll stay in and catch up on some sleep this weekend.


A: Are you going out tonight?

B: I feel very tired. I don't think I'll go out.


A: Do you want to go to the movies with us tonight?

B: I'll have to ask my mom first.

A: Okay, then. Tell me if you can or not. 

B: Sure. 


A: Do you wanna go with us now?

B: I can't go now. You go on ahead. I'll catch with you after I'm done with this. 

A: OK. See you then.


A: What shall we have for lunch?

B: I don't know. 

A: Come on, hurry up! Make a decision.

B: Okay then. We'll have chicken curry.

A: Agreed.


A: I can't operate this machinery.

B: It's quite easy. I'll show you.


Example sentences: 

  • I don't have time now. I'll join you later.
  • I think I'll go home now. I'm feeling very tired.
  • I'll eat the dinner after I finish my work.
  • Let me finish this job, then we'll go
  • We'll go out after the rain stops.
  • If you want any time off work you will have to ask the boss. 
  • We won't start dinner until our dad arrives.
  • When I see her, I'll ask her to hang out with us tonight.
  • I'll come straight back home after I do shopping.



The second use of will

☆ Making predictions

Secondly, we use " will " to make predictions about the future. This means that you believe something will / won't happen or that somebody will / won't be able do something. 

Example dialogues:

A: I'm going to ask Jenny to hang out with us tonight. What do you think she will respond?

B: I think she will agree.


A: Do you think James will agree to join us for a movie tonight if we ask him?

B: I don't think that he will agree. He doesn't usually go out on weeknights.


A: Do you know that Mike has applied for the job?

B: Yes. I think he will get it.

A: I hope so.


A: Spain and England are playing in the European Cup Final? 

B: Yeah, I'm sure Spain will win.

A: I'm rooting for England. So I think England that will be the champions.

B: Let see whose favorite will win!

A: OK.


Examples of will in a sentence in this context as in: 

  • I'm sure you'll be a successful person someday.
  • I think she will come to your party.
  • I think Spain will win the match.
  • I think your mom will be surprised if you score well in the English test.
  • I'm sure everyone will wish you a happy birthday.
  • I don't expect that it will rain tomorrow. 
  • I think she will like the present you bought for her.
  • Go to sleep now, and then you won't be tired tomorrow morning. 
  • Have a rest now, and then you'll be energized later. 
  • You'll feel better after you take a rest.
  • Do you think he will come?



The 3rd use of will

☆ Possibility   ( Maybe..., Perhaps..., Probably...)

Maybe, perhaps and probably are adverbs that mean the same thing. We commonly use them with will especially when we think that something is possible or impossible in the future. It's also possible to use the phrases like 'I think / I don't think, I'm sure / I'm not sure' in this context.

Example dialogues:

A: Do you know when Mike is coming back from holiday?

B: he'll probably be back on Sunday, but I can't say for sure.


A: When do you think Julia will leave?

B: Maybe she'll leave tomorrow morning.


A: Where do you think you'll go for the weekend? 

B: I'll probably take my kids to an amusement park.


A: When do you think they'll be back?

B: Perhaps they'll be back in two days.


A: I'll probably come to her birthday party tomorrow?

B: Are you coming?

A: Sure thing. 


A: What are you doing this weekend?

B: I don't know for sure but I think I'll hang out with my family.


A: Where are you going for the weekend?

B: I don't think I'll go somewhere.


A: Where are you going for your holidays?

B: Perhaps I'll go to Korea. 


A: How are you going to spend your holidays?

B: I'm not sure but I'll probably go to some recreational places with my family. 


A: What are you doing tonight?

B: Maybe I'll catch up on my work.


A: Have you decided what to do for the weekend?

B: I haven't decided yet, but maybe I'll just chill out


A: Have you decided how to spend the weekend?

B: Not yet, but maybe I'll meet up with my friends.


A: Have you decided where to go for your holidays?

B: I'm not sure where to go for my holidays. Perhaps I'll go to see my relatives.


A: Are you coming to her birthday party tomorrow?

B: I'm not sure if I'll be able to come or not.


Example sentences:

  • Maybe I'll finish work early tomorrow.
  • Perhaps he'll come late.
  • Maybe she won't come.
  • I think she'll be back soon. 
  • She'll probably leave tomorrow afternoon.
  • I'll probably arrive at about 7 o'clock.
  • Perhaps we'll have to wait for an hour for the next bus.
  • Perhaps there won't be a meeting tomorrow because the director is ill. 

Note that, to ask about someone's plan, we normally use the present continuous, but to answer this question depends on the context. If you have made a decision / an arrangement, you have to use the same tense, but if you haven't, will form is used this way. For example:

A: What are you doing this weekend? 

B: I'm going away with my family this weekend.

(As you have arranged to go away before the question, the present continuous form is used.)

B: Maybe I'll go away with my family. 

(As you haven't decided  to do something for the weekend before the question, and you decide to go away with your family after the question, will is used in this context.)


The fourth use of will

☆ Certainty

Will is used to talk about something or facts that will be certain in the future.


Example sentences: 

  • She'll be 12 years old next month.
  • The test starts next Monday, so I'll be busy studying until the last one finishes.
  • The plane leaves at 9.00, so we will get there at 10.30. 
  • The next world cup will be in Germany.
  • The final match will be on Sunday night.
  • The final exam will be on 9 May. 
  • This time in two months I will be on holiday.
  • The coming meeting will be on Monday next week.
  • I'll be at the meeting tomorrow.


The fifth use of will

☆ Willingness and offers

We use will to talk about what someone is able or willing to do and to offer to do something.


Example dialogues:

A: I can't do this English homework. It's difficult.

B: Don't worry. I'll help you with it.

(This is a willingness to do something.)


A: If you have English homework you can't do, I'll help you with it.

B: Okay. Thank you.

(Will in this sentence is an offer.)


A: Oh, I've just realized -- I haven't got any money.

B: Don't worry -- that's no problem. I'll lend you some. 

(This is a willingness in this sentence.)


A: I'll lend you some money if you need it.

B: That's very kind of you.

(This is an offer.)


A: Mom, I've got some difficult English homework to do tonight.

B: Don't worry. I'll help you with it.

( This statement is a willingness.)


A: I'll help you do your English homework if you can't do it. 

B: Okay, I'll take it now.

( This is an offer in this statement.)


A: Mike, can you take me to the airport this afternoon?

B: OK, I'll take you there. 

( This statement is a willingness )


A: If there's no one can take to the station, I'll take you there.

B: I'd like to. Thank you.

(This is an offer.)


A: Someone's knocking on the door.

B: Ok, I'll open it.     

(This statement is willingness)


A: Ben, we haven't got any food at home.

B: Oh, haven't we? I'll go to the shop and get some now.

(This is a willingness.)


A: James, we need some bread for breakfast.

B: Oh, do we? I'll get some from the shop then.

( This is a willingness in this context.)


A: What's going on with him?

B: He forgot to bring his money.

A: Ok, I'll lend him some.

(This is a willingness.)


A: You look thirsty. I'll get you a drink.

B: That's very nice of you.

(The statement " I'll get you a drink is an offer.)


A: It's a bit cold in this room.

B: Is it? I'll switch on the heating then.

( This is a willingness.)


A: It's a bit hot in this room.

B: Is it? I'll turn on the air conditioning then.

( This is a willingness.)


A: I need some money.

B: Don't worry. I'll lend you some.

( This is a willingness.)


Some example sentences include:

  • That suitcase looks heavy. I'll help you with it.
  • Can you check if there's enough food or not at home? If it's not enough, I'll get some on the way home.
  • I'll show you his house.
  • He will take you to the office.
  • I'll give you a lift home if you like.
  • I'll help you with that.
  • I'll give you a lift to the station if you like.
  • Your dad will fetch you from the station. 
  • I'll help you with that suitcase. 
  • I'll take you to his office.


☆ Unwillingness or refuses

Will is used to refuse to do something or for unwillingness to do something.

Example sentences:

  • I've asked her but she won't come.
  • I've asked him to take me to school, but he won't.
  • She has to meet her friend tonight, so she won't go with us.
  • I've told him to do his homework, but he won't do it.
  • I've asked him to help me but he won't.
  • Tim's asked him to join us for dinner tonight  but he won't.


The sixth use of will

☆ Promises

Native English speakers often use "will" to make promises.

Sample dialogues: 

A: I've got some good news, but it's secret. 

B: Please tell me! I won't tell anyone else.


A: I'm just going to leave. When are you leaving?

B: You go on a head of me. I'll catch you up later.


A: Please don't tell anyone. 

B: All right, I won't tell anyone. 


Sample sentences: 

  • I'll get you a new mobile phone, but you'll have to study more seriously.
  • I won't tell him what you said.
  • I'll phone you when I have a break.
  • I'll try to be on time.
  • I'll see you later. 
  • Don't worry, I'll be home soon.
  • I promise I won't be late.
  • I promise I'll never do that again.
  • I'm just going to the shops -- I won't take long. 
  • We'll meet you outside the coffee shop.

(very common in speaking than we will meet you ...)

Before moving on to the next points, you can try to do this quiz. Click on this link.

https://forms.gle/KQWrtesXSGGvj5G37


The seventh use of will

☆ Hopes 

It's used for something good that you want to happen in the future. 

Example sentences:

  • I sincerely hope that you will be successful.
  • I hope we will meet again soon.
  • I hope we will meet again some time. 
  • I hope you'll get another job soon.
  • I hope she will get married soon.
  • I hope you will enjoy living in your new place.
  • She hopes you'll feel better soon.
         (= She hopes you get better soon.)

  • Let's hope she will get better soon. 
         (= Let's hope she gets better soon. ) 

  • I hope ( that ) she'll win.
  • We hope and pray ( that ) the operation will go well.
  • I hope our plane won't be delayed. 
  • I hope I'll see you soon. 
  • I hope she will like the present.
  • I hope this English lesson will be helpful to you.


The eighth use of will

☆ Inanimate objects ( things )

How the objects respond to humans, most typically in the negative form won't: 

Example sentences:

  • The engine won't start.
  • The car won't start.
  • The door won't open. It's stuck. 
  • The laptop won't work. It's crashed again.



The nineth use of will

☆ Usual / certain Habits and facts

It's used to talk about what someone, something or an animal will always / usually do /reacts in a particular situation.

Example dialogues:

A: I've got him to get something to eat.

B: I'm sure he will forget


A: He learnt when to use will in English last week.

B:  I think he'll forget it when it comes to it again.


A: She won't go with us if there's Anna.

B: Why?

A: She just doesn't get on with her.


Example sentences: 

  • Don't worry about the dog. It won't hurt you. 
  • Don't tease the dog. It'll bite you. 
  • The baby will wake up if he hears a noise.
  • If you brings bananas, the monkeys will come up to you.
  • She won't go if we ask her to hang out on school nights.
  • The product with the better-known brand name will always sell better.
  • Fruit will keep longer in the fridge.


The tenth use of will

☆ Request

Will is also commonly used to ask someone to do something.

Example dialogues:

A: Will you give me her phone number?    

B: Of course.


A: Will you take me to the airport this afternoon?

B: Sure.


A: Will you help me do my English homework, please?

B: Of course.


A: Will you pick me up at school?

B: Yes, I will.


A: Will you turn down your music a bit?

B: Okay. 


A: Will you give me a lift home?

B: Can do.  

(Can do is only used in informal situation.)


A: Will you give that to Michael when you see him, please?

B: Sure.


A: Will you give me a hand with this box?

B: Yes, I will.


A: Will you play that song again please?

B: Sure thing.


A: Will you meet me at the airport (= be at the airport when the plane arrives)?

B: Sure.

A: Will we meet Jenny's plane (= be at the airport when she arrives)?

B: Of course, we will.


The eleventh use of will

☆ Invitations

The other use of will is that it's used as a polite way of inviting someone to do something.

Examples dialogues:

A: Will you join us for lunch later? 

B:  Yes, I will.


A: Will you come over to my house at the weekend?  

B: Sorry I can't. I'm hanging out with my family.

A: That's no problem.


A: Will you catch up this weekend?

B: Good idea! 


A: Will you hang out at the cafe with us this weekend?

B: Ok, I'm down.

(I'm down means you agree to do something.)


A: Will you join us for dinner tonight?

B: I'm sorry I can't. I have to catch up on my work.


The twelfth use of will

☆ Accepting an offer of food or drinks

We use will when we accept food or a drink someone offers you. It's often with the verb " have ".

Example dialogues:

A: What would you like to drink? 

B: I will have a drink of water, please.


A: Would you like tea or coffee? 

B: I will have coffee, please. 


A: Anyone want a drink?

B: I'll have an orange juice, please. 


The thirteenth use of will

☆ Commends or orders

Will can also be used when angry to tell someone to do something (order):

Example sentences:

  • Will you be quiet, please! 
  • Will you stop making so much noise!
  • Will you shut up!
  • Will you stop being such a pain!
  • Will you stop doing that and start studying!
  • You'll do as you are told!
  • You'll finish up your dinner if you want any dessert!
  • You'll put away your toys before you play outside!
It's also used to insist that someone will have to do something:
  • You'll have no choice, so you'll have to do it.
  • (parent to child) You'll have to wear it whether you like it or not. 
  • You'll have to study tonight. Not buts.


The fourteenth use of will

☆ Probability

It's used to say that something happening is true or very likely and that it's very likely that a particular thing will happen. 

Example sentences: 

  • That'll be Jack on the phone.
  • That'll be Julia at the door.
  • That'll be her mom with her.
  • That'll be Dad in the bathroom.
  • There's a distinct probability that I'll be there.
  • There's a high probability that she'll get the job.
  • There's a distinct probability I won't be able to make it to the meeting tomorrow.

  • It's very likely that he'll be here.

(= There's a high probability that he'll be here.)

  • It's very likely that she'll quit her job next month.
(= There's a high / strong probability that she'll quit her job.)

Try to do this second quiz. Click on this link.

https://forms.gle/ck7oJDySk1Vzj7ks5


Finally, you have reached the end. After having known the uses of will, you can practice using them in your real English communication. 

Success in studying English will depend on a willingness to learn it wholeheartedly.

Good luck!!!


Popular posts from this blog

British and American English vocabulary differences

British and American English grammar

British and American English Pronunciation