Reported Speech | Direct and Indirect Speech in English

 


Reported Speech | Direct and Indirect Speech in English

How to tell someone's statement in indirect (reported) speech in English?

In daily life, we often get information, news, or a statement from someone which we need to tell or report again to another person. And to do this, we use direct or indirect speech in English.

One notable thing that we need to know when reporting a person's statement especially in indirect speech is that the tense and the time expression do not always change / shift back in time from direct speech to indirect speech. 

The tense and the time expression in indirect speech can shift back or stay the same depending on:

  • When you report the statement after it was said to you.
  • The reporting verb forms.
  • The context of the statement (speech).

The subject of this English lesson focuses especially on how to tell someone's statement (speech) using indirect (reported) speech with the stipulations or rules mentioned above:

A. When we report or tell someone's recent statement.

A recent statement is something / information from someone that you report to someone else a moment later after it was said to you.

In this case, there are three ways that we can use to report or tell a person's recent statement in indirect speech according to the form of the reporting verb that is used:

1st way

■ The tense stays the same when we use a present simple reporting verb (say / says, tell / tells).


2nd way

■ The tense may also stay the same even if we use a past simple reporting verb (said / told).


3rd way

■ The tense is more likely to shift / move back if we use a past simple reporting verb (said / told).


Sample situation A.1

Suppose that you are calling your friend Robert to ask if he has time to speak to you, because you have something (news) that you need to talk about with him. But he can't talk to you a bit longer because he is very busy. A few minutes later, you tell this to your other friend.


Sample statement A.1

☆ Robert says: I'm very busy.

(The original statement / speech 'I'm very busy' is in the present simple.)

Look at how the subject and verb be in the original statement change:

I changes to he 

Am changes to is

I am becomes he is 

The subject I refers to Robert, so I should be changed to he. And we also need to change the verb be am to is which goes with the subject he as in:

1st way

Robert says (that) he is very busy. Or

Robert tells me (that) he is very busy.


2nd way

Robert said (that) he is very busy. Or

Robert told me (that) he is very busy.


3rd way

Robert said (that) he was very busy. Or

Robert told me (that) he was very busy.

(The tense shifts or moves back in time: the present simple changes to the past simple.)


Sample dialogue A.1

You: Hi, Robert.

Robert: Hey, John, what's up?

You: Have you got a moment? ( Are you busy or do you have time to speak to me?)

Robert: Oh, sorry, I'm very busy. But I can talk to you in about an hour.

You: Okay then. Talk to you later.


A moment later, you tell your other friend that Robert is very busy:

You: Hello, Mike. 

Mike: Hey, bro. Have you told Robert about the news yet?

You: Not yet, I've just called him. But I couldn't tell him about it. 

Mike: Why?

You: He says he is very busy, but he is going talk to me in about an hour.

Mike: That's fine, then.


Sample situation A.2

In this situation, you want to go to school with Viona. You come to her house with your other friend. Your friend is waiting outside. You meet her dad and tell him that you would like to ask her to leave for school with you. Her dad tells you that she has already gone to school. Then, you tell this to your friend who's waiting outside.


Sample statement A.2

☆ Viona's dad says: She has already gone to school.

(The original statement / speech 'She has already gone to school' is in the present perfect.)

The subject she in the statement doesn't change as the one doesn't refer to the person who made the statement:

1st way

Her dad says (that) she has already gone to school. Or

Her dad tells me (that) she has already gone to school.


2nd way

Her dad said (that) she has already gone to school. Or

Her dad told me (that) she has already gone to school.


3rd way

Her dad said (that) she had already gone to school. Or

Her dad told me (that) she had already gone to school.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present perfect changes to the past perfect.)


Sample dialogue A.2

You: Excuse me, is Viona there? I'd like to ask her to come to school with me.

Viona's dad: Oh, she has already gone to school.

You: Oh, it's okay, then. Thank you.


Then, you leave her house and tell this to your friend who is waiting outside:

Your friend: Where's she?

You: Her dad says she has already gone to school.


Sample situation A.3

You have arranged to watch a movie with some friends tonight. Your friends and you also want to invite your other friend Jenita to come to the movies with you. Unfortunately, she has seen it before. A moment later, you tell Jenita's speech (statement) to one of your friends.


Sample statement A.3

☆ Jenita says: I've watched the movie before.

(The original statement / speech "I've watched the movie before" is in the present perfect)

The subject I in the statement changes to she as the one refers to the speaker (Jenita) who made the statement.  

1st way

She says (that) she has watched the movie before. Or

She tells me (that) she has watched the movie before.


2nd way

She said (that) she has watched the movie before. Or

She told me (that) she has watched the movie before.


3rd way

She said (that) she had watched the movie before. Or

She told me (that) she had watched the movie before.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present perfect changes to the past perfect.)


Sample dialogue A.3

You (Kate): Hi, Jen. What are you doing tonight?

Jenita: Hello, Kate. I've got nothing on tonight. What's up?

You: We are going to the movies. Are you down for that?

Jenita: What's on the movies?

You: It's the new Venom Movie.

Jenita :Ooh, I've watched the movie before. It's a good movie that you should watch. But sorry, I think I'll pass. Thanks for asking.

You: It's okay, Jen. No bother.


A few minutes later, your other friend asks you if Jenita is coming to the movies:

Your friend: Is Jenita coming to the movies with us tonight?

You: No, she isn't. She said she has watched the movie before.


Sample situation A.4

Imagine that you meet your friend Jason and start chatting about the football match that you were unable to watch last night. Jason tells you that Real Madrid won the match. 10 minutes later you tell this to your other friend who happens to ask you about it.


Sample statement A.4

☆ Jason says: Real Madrid won the match.

(The original statement / speech 'Real Madrid won the match' is in the past simple)

1st way

Jason says (that) Real Madrid won the match. Or

Jason tells me (that) Real Madrid won the match


2nd way

Jason said (that) Real Madrid won the match. Or

Jason told me (that) Real Madrid won the match.


3rd way

Jason said (that) Real Madrid had won the match. Or

Jason told me (that) Real Madrid had won the match.

(The tense shifts back in time: the past simple becomes the past perfect)


Sample dialogue A.4

You: Did you watch the football match between Manchester United and Real Madrid last night?

Jason: Yes, I did. That was so dramatic and tense.

You: Was it? which one won the match?

Jason: Definitely, Real Madrid won the match.


A moment later, you meet your other friend and he asks you which team won the match last night:

Your other friend: Did you see the match between Manchester United and Real Madrid last night?

You: No, I didn't. But I've just chatted with Jason about it. He said Real Madrid had won the match.

Your other friend: Oh, really! Sounds great.


Sample situation A.5

You are leaving your office to have lunch with your friends. You see one of your friends still doing her work. You invite her to go with you for lunch, but she cannot go immediately as she still has a job she wants to finish first before going for lunch. She tells you she will join you soon. 


Sample statement A.5

☆ Grace says: I will join you soon.

(The tense in original statement 'I'll join you soon' is in the future (will).)

I becomes she.  (she refers to Grace)

You becomes us. (us refers to you and your other friends)


1st way

She says (that) she will join us soon. Or

She tells me (that) she will join us soon.


2nd way

She said (that) she will join us soon. Or

She told me (that) she will join us soon.


3rd way

She said (that) she would join us soon. Or

She told me (that) she would join us soon.

(The tense moves back in time: the future (will) becomes the future-in-the-past (would).)


Sample dialogue A.5

You: Let's go for lunch now.

Grace: I'm trying to finish this job first, but I'll be done soon. You go first. I'll join you soon.

You: Ok, It's fine. See you then.


Directly you go to a place where you are having lunch. As you arrive there, your other friend who was there earlier asking you if Grace is joining you for lunch:

Your other friend: Is Grace joining us for lunch?

You: Yes, she is, but she's trying to finish her work first. She says she will join us soon.


Sample situation A.6

At 10 o'clock on Thursday, your friend Lisa asks you what you are doing for the weekend. You tell her you're going away for the weekend. A few minutes later, you tell this to your other friend.


Sample statement A.6

☆ I say: I'm going away for the weekend.

(The original statement 'I'm going away for the weekend' is in the present continuous.)

The subject I remains unchanged as it refers to you yourself as the person who made the statement. And you yourself who tell this to another person.

1st way

I say (that) I'm going away for the weekend. Or

I tell her (that) I'm going away for the weekend.


2nd way

I said (that) I'm going away for the weekend. Or

I told her (that) I'm going away for the weekend.


3rd way

I said (that) I was going away for the weekend. Or

I told her (that) I was going away for the weekend.

(The tense in the original statement shifts back in time: the present continuous changes to the past continuous.)

I am becomes I was


Sample dialogue A.6

Lisa: What are you up to this weekend?

You: Oh, I'm going away for the weekend

Lisa: That sounds good.

You: Yeah, thanks for asking.


A moment later, you tell what you told Lisa to another friend of yours:

Your other friend: What did she ask you about?

You: She asked me what I was doing this weekend. And I told her that I am going away for the weekend.


Sample situation A.7

(On Wednesday) Isabel asks you about Mike. You tell her that he is on holiday this week. Later, you tell this to him (Mike).


Sample statement A.7

☆ I say: He is on holiday this week.

(The original statement 'He's on holiday this week' is in the present simple.)

The subject he becomes you, as you are the one who made the statement and also tell this to the person that refers to the subject 'he' in the statement.

This week remains the same as you tell this a moment later after the statement was said to you.

Remember that we don't need to change the time expression in indirect speech when it hasn't passed yet.

This week refers to a period of seven days ( Monday - Sunday / Sunday - Saturday). If the statement was made on Wednesday, and then you tell this a few minutes later after you received it, this still refers to the same week (this week) or the time expression 'this week' hasn't passed. 

Indeed, it is incorrect and illogical to use 'that week'. That week refers to a period of seven days that has passed, this can be two, three, or four weeks ago.

1st way

I say (that) you are on holiday this week. Or

I tell her (that) you are on holiday this week.


2nd way

I said (that) you are on holiday this week. Or

I told her (that) you are on holiday this week.


3rd way

I said (that) you were on holiday this week. Or

I told her (that) you were on holiday this week.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present simple changes to the past simple.)

You are becomes you were


Sample dialogue A.7

Isabel: I haven't seen Mike for the last three days. Do you know what he is up to these days?

You: He is on holiday this week


Later, you whatsapp him (Mike) about this:

You: Hi, Mike. How's your holiday?

Mike: It's a lot of fun. What's up?

You: Isable just asked me about you. And I tell her that you are on holiday this week.

Mike: Oh, I didn't tell her that I was going on holiday. 

You: Ok, Mike. Enjoy your holiday!

Mike: Yeah sure, thank you.


Sample situation A.8

On Monday, you ask Michelle when she got back from holiday. She tells you that she came back from holiday two days ago. A moment later, you tell this to your other friend who also wants to know about it.


Sample statement A.8

☆ Michelle says: I came back from holiday 2 days ago.

(The original statement 'I came back from holiday two days ago' is in the past simple.)

The subject I refers to Michelle (a female person), so I becomes she. And you are the one who tell this to a different person.

Two days ago still stays the same, as you tell this a moment later on the same day (on Monday). The time (two days ago) that is referred to hasn't passed. In this context, it's incorrect to use two days before

1st way

She says (that) she came back from holiday two days ago. Or

She tells me (that) she came back from holiday two days ago.


2nd way

She said (that) she came back from holiday two days ago. Or

She told me (that) she came back from holiday two days ago.


3rd way

She said (that) she had come back from holiday two days ago. Or

She told me (that) she had come back from holiday two days ago.

(The tense shifts back in time: the past simple changes to the past perfect.)

Came (past simple)  --  had come (past perfect)


Sample dialogue A.8

You: Hi, Michelle. How was your holiday?

Michelle: It was great.

You: When did you come back from holiday?

Michelle: I came back from holiday two days ago. 


Later, you tell this to your other friend:

Your other friend: Do you know when Michelle went back from holiday?

You: I just asked her about that. She said she had come back from holiday two days ago

But if you tell this a day later (on Tuesday), the time expression should move back, two days ago becomes three days ago (not: two days before):

▪︎ She said she had come back from holiday three days ago.


Sample situation A.9

On Wednesday, Janice tells you that Elbert missed English class yesterday. Later, you tell this to your other friend.


Sample statement A.9

☆ Jenice says: Elbert missed English class yesterday.

(The original statement 'Elbert missed English class yesterday' is in the past simple form.)

The subject Elbert remains unchanged as it doesn't refer to the person who made the statement.

1st way

Janice says (that) Elbert missed English class yesterday. Or

Janice tells me (that) Elbert missed English class yesterday.


2nd way

Janice said (that) Elbert missed English class yesterday. Or

Janice told me (that) Elbert missed English class yesterday.


3rd way

Janice said (that) Elbert had missed English class yesterday. Or

Janice told me (that) Elbert had missed English class yesterday.

(The tense shifts back in time: the past simple changes to the past perfect.)

Missed becomes had missed


Sample dialogue A.9

Janice: Elbert missed English class yesterday. Do you know why?

You: Oh, I don't know.


Later, you tell this to your other friend:

You: Janice says that Elbert missed English class yesterday. Do you know why he couldn't come to English class?

Your other friend: He told me that he was hanging out with his family yesterday.


The time yesterday stays the same as you tell the statement a moment later on the same day. This time hasn't passed, so it doesn't need to move back.

But if it is reported on Thursday, you should say:

Janice said (that) Elbert had missed English class two days ago (on Tuesday). (Not: the day before)


Sample situation A.10

Silvi gets information from Jenny that she isn't coming to work because of her illness. Silvi tells you about this information. Later, you tell this to your other friend.


☆ Silvi says: Jenny is off (out) sick today.

Off (out) sick means absent because of illness.


1st way

Silvi says (that) Jenny is off sick today. Or

Silvi tells me (that) Jenny is off sick today.


2nd way

Silvi said (that) Jenny is off sick today. Or

Silvi told me (that) Jenny is off sick today.


3rd way

Silvi said (that) Jenny was off sick today. Or

Silvi told me (that) Jenny was off sick today.


(The tense shifts back in time: the present simple changes to the past simple.)

Jenny is becomes Jenny was

The time today remains unchanged as it is still reported on the same day. But if you report it the next day, you say:

Silvi said that Jenny was off sick yesterday.

Today becomes yesterday. It moves back.


Sample dialogue A.10

You: I haven't seen Jenny this morning. Have you seen her?

Silvi: She's out sick today.

You: Oh, sorry to hear she's sick.


Later, you tell this to your other friend who also doesn't know that Jenny is off sick today:

Your other friend: I haven't seen Jenny since this morning. Do you know where she is?

You: Silvi told me that she is off sick today.

Your other friend: Oh, I hope she gets better soon.


B. When we report / tell something which is still true about someone / something.

The tense in indirect speech can shift (move) back or stay the same if what a person said to you is still true. In this case, it is possible to use either the present simple or past simple form of the reporting verb. 

Sample situation B.1

You ask Mike about what his dad does for a living. He tells you that his dad works as a landlord. Later, you tell this to someone else.


Sample Statement B.1

☆ Mike says: My dad works as a landlord.

Fact: It is still true that Mike's dad works as a landlord.

(The original statement / speech 'My dad works as a landlord' is in the present simple.)

In this case, we need to change the word my to his, which refers to Mike's belongings.


1st way

Mike says (that) his dad works as a landlord. Or

Mike tells me (that) his dad works a landlord.


2nd way

Mike said (that) his dad works as a landlord. Or

Mike told me (that) his dad works as a landlord.


3rd way

Mike said (that) his dad worked as a landlord. Or

Mike told me (that) his dad worked as a landlord.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present simple changes to the past simple.)

Works     (Singular verb in the present simple)  

worked    (Past simple verb)


Sample dialogue B.1

You: As I notice that your dad is often at home. Does he work?

Mike: Yes, he does. 

You: What does he do?

Mike: He works as a landlord. You know? the one who owns houses, rooms, flats, lands, or buildings to rent out to someone.

You: Yeah, I know that.


A few days later, you tell this to your other friend:

You: Do you know what Mike's dad does for a living?

Your other friend: I don't know. What's his job?

You: I asked Mike about his job a few days ago. He said that his dad works as a landlord.

Your other friend: Oh, I just knew it. No wonder, his dad's often at home.


Sample situation B.2

You meet your old friend Steven who you haven't met for such a long time. One of the questions you asked him was 'where is he working now?'. He tells you he is still working for the same company as you know he did before. The next day, you tell this to another person.


Sample statement B.2

☆ Steven says: I am still working for the same company.

Fact: It is still true that Steven is still working for the same company.

(The original statement / speech is in the present continuous.)

I am becomes he is


1st way

Steven says (that) he is still working for the same company. Or

Steven tells me (that) he is still working for the same company.


2nd way

Steven said (that) he is still working for the same company. Or

Steven told me (that) he is still working for the same company.


3rd way

Steven said (that) he was still working for the same company. Or

Steven told me (that) he was still working for the same company.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present continuous changes to the past continuous.)

He is becomes he was


Sample dialogue B.2

You: Hi, Steven. 

Steven: Oh, hello, Mike. I'm so glad to see you.

You: Me too. 

Steven: What's new?

You: Well, I quit my job from the company 2 years ago to start to be a content writer. 

Steven: Wow, that sounds great. 

You: Yeah, where are you working at the moment?

Steven: I'm still working for the same company.

You: Oh, that's good. Sorry, Steven. I can't talk to you any longer, I have to go to pick up my cousin now. Come around to my house some time.

Steven: No problem. I'll tell you when I want to come.


A few days later, you tell this to your other friend:

You: I met steven last Sunday.

Your other friend: Did you? Where does he work now?

You: He said he is still working for the same company.

Your other friend: He seems to enjoy working there.


Sample situation B.3

You notice that Vania's English is very good. You wonder that she is taking English class somewhere. You ask her about it, and she tells you that she is taking English class at Global English Course. Later, you tell this to another person.


Sample statement B.3

☆ Vania says: I'm taking English class at Global English Course.

Fact: It is true that Vania is taking English class at Global English Course.

(The original statement is in the present continuous.)

I'm becomes she is


1st way

She says (that) she is taking English class at Global English Course. Or

She tells me (that) she is taking English class at Global English Course.


2nd way

She said (that) she is taking English class at Global English Course. Or

She told me (that) she is taking English class at Global English Course.


3rd way

She said (that) she was taking English class at Global English Course. Or

She told me (that) she was taking English class at Global English Course.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present continuous changes to the past continuous.)

She is becomes she was


Sample dialogue B.3

You: Your English is very good, Vania. At which English course are you taking English class?

Vania: I'm taking English class at Global English Course. My English teacher can really help me improve my English skills.

You: How long have been learning English there?

Vania: for about seven months.


A few days later, you tell this to your other friend:

You: Do you notice that Vania's English is becoming better?

Your other friend: Yeah, I know. Is she taking English lessons?

You: Yes. She said she was taking English class at Global English Course.


Sample situation B.4

You ask Jane if Simon (Jane's close friend) has got a job. Jane tells you that he still hasn't got a job. Later, you tell this to your other friend who's also Simon's friend.


Sample Statement B.4

☆ Jane says: Simon still hasn't got a job.

Fact: It is still true that Simon still hasn't got a job.

(The original statement / speech is in the present perfect.)

The subject Simon (he) doesn't change as the person is not the one who made the statement.


1st way

Jane says (that) he still hasn't got a job. Or

Jane tells me (that) he still hasn't got a job


2nd way

Jane said (that) he still hasn't got a job. Or

Jane told me (that) he still hasn't got a job


3rd way

Jane said (that) he still hadn't got a job. Or

Jane told me (that) he still hadn't got a job.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present perfect changes to the past perfect.)


Sample dialogue B.4

You: Hi, Jane.

Jane: Hi, Jack. 

you: Do you know if Simon has got a job yet?

Jane: He still hasn't got a job.

You: oh, I'm sorry that he hasn't got it.


The next day, you tell this to your other friend:

You: I met Jane yesterday. I asked her if Simon had got a job yet.

Your other friend: What did she say?

You: She said he still hasn't got a job.

Your other friend: I hope he will get another job soon.

You: I hope so.


Sample situation B.5

You offer James a cigarette. He refuses it because he doesn't smoke. On another day, you tell this to another friend of yours.


Sample statement B.5

☆ James says: I don't smoke.

Fact: It is true that James doesn't smoke.

(The original statement / speech is in the present simple.)

I don't becomes he doesn't


1st way

He says (that) he doesn't smoke. Or

He tells me (that) he doesn't smoke.


2nd way

He said (that) he doesn't smoke. Or

He told me (that) he doesn't smoke.


3rd way

He said (that) he didn't smoke. Or

He told me (that) he didn't smoke.

(The tense shifts back in time: the present simple changes to the past simple.)

He doesn't becomes he didn't


Sample dialogue B.5

You: Would you like a cigarette?

James: No, thanks. I don't smoke.

You: When did you give up smoking?

James: I gave it up a long time ago.


Later, you meet your other friend and tell this to him:

You: I offered James a cigarette yesterday. He refused it. He said he doesn't smoke.

Your other friend: So, he's stopped smoking.

You: Yeah, he gave it up a long time ago.


Now, you can practice telling someone's statement (speech) using reported speech in English more confidently. 






Popular posts from this blog

British and American English vocabulary differences

British and American English grammar

How was your weekend?