When to say thank you?

 


When to say thank you?

The uses of thank you or thanks

In everyday life, we often thank someone for something. Generally speaking, we use thank you or thanks in many different situations. It's necessary and polite to thank someone for something they have given or done for us.

This English lesson provides you with situations where you need to thank someone, expressions as a response to thanks and also expressions that you can use to reply to an apology.

Here are some common situations where we necessarily thank someone:

1. We use thank you or thanks when someone asks you about your general health as a greeting or small talk:

A: How are you? 

B: I'm good, thank you.


A: How's your mother?

B: She's good, thanks.


A: How are you doing?

B: I'm doing well, thank you.


A: How are you?

B: I'm all right. Thanks for asking.


2. We use it when someone asks you about how well something is going for you or a state of something you experience:

A: Hi, Michelle. How's it going?

B: Julia, hi. Fine, thanks. And you?


A: Hello there. How's things?

B: Hi there. Fine, thank you.


A: How's everything?

B: It's just fine, thanks.


A: How's your work?

B: It's going fine, thank you.


A: How's life?

B: Not bad, thanks.


A: Hi! What's new?

B: Not much, thanks for asking.


A: I haven't seen you for a while. What's new?

B: I've quit my job, and now I'm running my own business.

A: Wow, I'm glad to hear that. 

B: What's new with you?

A: Nothing much.

B: That's fine. Thank you for asking.


Note:

What's new (with you)? means what is different in your life?. And it's usually used when you haven't seen someone in a while or in ages.


3. We use thank you or thanks to respond to a comment or compliment:

A: Your hair looks good.

B: Thanks very much.


A: That shirt looks nice on you.

B: Thank you.


A: You look lovely with your hair up.

B: Thanks.


A: You did it very well.

B: Thank you.


4. It's used when we accept someone's offer, but we sometimes add other words or expressions before thank you or thanks:

A: Do you want a lift home?

B: Yes, please. Thank you.


A: More coffee?

B: Thank you. (This means yes.)


A: I'll give you a lift home if you like.

B: Oh, thank you very much.


A: Can I offer you something to drink?

B: Oh, that would be nice, thank you.


A: If you like I can help fix your car.

B: That's a very kind offer, thank you.


A: Would you like to sit here?

B: Oh, that's very kind of you, thank you.


A: Can I get you a drink of juice?

B: That's very nice of you, thanks.


A: Let me help you fix your laptop.

B: Oh, that would be great, thanks.


(In a shop, at the checkout)

A: Here's your change.

B: Thank you very much.


5. We use it to refuse an offer politely:

A: Have some more cake.

B: Oh, I couldn't, thank you, I'm full.


A: (in a restaurant) Can I help you, madam?

B: No thank you. I'm being served.


A: Would you like some food?

B: No thanks, I've just had one.


A: Would you like some more potatoes?

B: No, thanks



A: More coffee?

B: No, I'm good, thanks


A: Shall I do that for you?

B: No, thank you


5. Thank you or thanks is used when we receive something:

A: Can you pass me the sauce, please?

B: There you go.

A: Thank you.


A: Here's your tea.

B: Oh, thanks.


A: Could you pass the cake, please?

B: Here you are.

A: Thank you.


A: Have some more cake.

B: Thanks.


A: Here's your meal.

B: Oh, thanks.


A: Here's your change.

B: Just take it.

A: Thank you very much.


7. Thank you or thanks is also used when we accept and decline someone's invitation:

A: Would you like to join us for lunch at break?

B: Yes, I'd love to. Thanks.


A: Do you want to come to the movies with us tonight?

B: That sounds like a good idea, thanks for asking.


A: We're having a barbecue on Saturday -- do you wanna join us?

B: Yeah, that sounds like fun, thank you.


A: Would you like to hang out with us tonight?

B: Yes, I would. Thanks for inviting me.


A: Why don't you join us for dinner tonight?

B: Thanks, that's very kind of you.


A: Can you come over to my house on Sunday?

B: I'm sorry I can't. I have a family get-together. Thank you for inviting me.


A: Let's meet for coffee this evening.

B: I'd love to, but I'm working late. Thanks for asking.


A: Do you wanna go out with us tonight?

B: I'm so sorry, I think I'll pass on going with you. Thanks for your invitation.



8. We use thank with God, goodness, heavens is to say that you are pleased about something:

  • Thank heavens I've found my wallet.
  • Oh, there's my wallet. Thank God.
  • Thank God nobody was hurt in the accident.
  • I made it to the train station just in time, thank goodness.
  • Thank goodness he's finally got home.

(Not: thanks God, thanks heavens, or thanks goodness.)


9. The other use of thank you or thanks is to show that you are grateful to somebody for something they have done for you:

Thank you for ....

Thanks for ....


  • Thank you for helping us.
  • Thank you for your help.
  • Thank you for coming.
  • Thank you for the present.
  • Thank you for the drink.
  • Thanks for the lift.
  • Thanks for taking me home.
  • Thank you for taking me to the airport.
  • Thanks for giving me a lift home.
  • Thanks for picking me up.
  • Thanks for lending me your car.
  • Thanks for the meal.
  • Thank you for your treat.
  • Thanks for the invitation.
  • Thank you for inviting me.
  • Thank you for asking.
  • Thanks for having me.


Notice:

Thank you for ...  (Not: thanks you for ...)

Thanks for ...        (Not: thank for ...)


Thank as a verb

  • I'd like to thank you for coming here tonight.
  • We would like to thank everyone for their help.
  • I thank you for your advice.
  • On behalf of the company, I would like to thank you for all your work.
  • I thank you for all your hard work.
  • I have to thank you all so much.
  • In accepting this award, I would like to thank the producer, the director, the scriptwriter and, lastly, the film crew.


Thank as a noun:

  • I would like to offer a word of thanks to all those who have helped.
  • I would like to express my special thanks for all your effort.
  • I would like to express my thanks for your kindness.
  • I would like to offer a word of thanks to all those who have helped.
  • A big thank you to all those who helped with the event.
  • Many thanks for your support.
  • I would like to express my special thanks for all your effort.
  • I would like to express my thanks for your kindness.


10. We use 'thanks' with 'to' which means because of:

  • Thanks to Jack, I found this great apartment.
  • Thanks to Mike, Sarah could work for that company.
  • Thanks to the doctor, he recovered from his serious illness.
  • Thanks to the mobile phone, everyone can access the internet. 


Replying to thanks

Here are some common expressions used as a polite reply when someone has thanked you for something you have done for them.

  • You're welcome.
  • That's all right.
  • It's all right.
  • No problem.
  • Not at all.
  • That's OK.
  • It's okay.
  • Don't mention it. 
  • No worries.
  • It's a pleasure. (= It's my pleasure.)


Sample dialogues: 

A: Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity.

B: You're welcome.


A: Thanks for the advice.

B: No worries.


A: Thanks for your help.

B: Don't mention it.


A: Thank you for helping us.

B: No problem. 


A: Thanks for the lift / ride.

B: It's a pleasure.


A: Thank you for the gift.

B: It's all right.


A: Thank you for fixing the internet connection.

B: It's okay. No problem.


A: Thanks for helping me out.

B: That's OK. No problem.


A: Thank you for taking me to this office.

B: Not at all.


A: Thanks very much for your help.

B: Not at all, it was a pleasure.


A: Thanks for your treat.

B: Don't mention it - It's my pleasure.


Replying to an apology

Here are some common expressions used as a response when somebody says they are sorry for something:

  • That's OK.
  • It's okay.
  • No problem.
  • That's all right.
  • It's all right.
  • Never mind.
  • No worries.


Sample dialogues:

A: I'm sorry that I was unable to come to your birthday party.

B: That's OK.


A: Sorry to keep you waiting.

B: It's okay.


A: I'm sorry for bothering you.

B: No problem.


A: I'm sorry I'm late.

B: That's all right.


A: I'm so sorry to keep you waiting.

B: That's all right.


A: I'm sorry that I missed our appointment.

B: It's all right.


A: I'm sorry I won't be able to make it on Saturday.

B: No problem.


A: I'm sorry that I was unable to come to your house last Sunday.

B: That's all right.


A: I sorry I broke your glass.

B: Never mind.


A: I'm sorry I lost your pen.

B: Never mind, I can buy another one. 


A: I'm sorry I can't do it now but tomorrow.

B: No worries


See also:

Offering food and drinks | Part 1

Offering food and drinks | Part 2

What are you doing this weekend?

How was your weekend? 

Popular posts from this blog

British and American English vocabulary differences

British and American English grammar

How was your weekend?